A Trick That Supposedly Makes You Fall Asleep in Under a Minute
If you're like me, when you get up in the morning you're spending a few minutes cursing yourself for not going to bed sooner the night before. If you're someone who can fall asleep within five minutes every night, congratulations . . . you don't need this tip, and everyone hates you.
For the rest of us, check out something called the "4-7-8" exercise. Supposedly it can help you fall asleep in under a minute. Here are the five steps you have to do . . .
1. Press the tip of your tongue behind your top front teeth, and keep it there the entire time. It's a yoga breathing trick.
2. Exhale through your mouth, and make a whooshing sound while you do it.
3. Close your mouth and breathe in slowly through your nose for four seconds.
4. Hold your breath for seven seconds.
5. Slowly exhale through your mouth for eight seconds, and make the whooshing sound again.
Then repeat the whole thing three more times. So basically, you breathe in through your nose for four seconds . . . hold your breath for seven . . . and breathe out through your mouth for eight seconds. That's why it's called the "4-7-8" exercise.
Breathing in for four seconds helps you take in more oxygen . . . holding your breath gives it a little more time to absorb into your bloodstream . . . and breathing out slowly for eight seconds slows your heart rate down.
THERE YOU HAVE IT. Try it out and see if it works! Do you have any tricks to get to sleep quicker? Do you need to have the TV or a fan on? Let me know in the comments!