Old Drum & Friends Re-Starting Adoptions June 15
Old Drum and Friends Animal Shelter in Warrensburg is reopening on Monday June 15. Of course, there are some changes in how the shelter will operate to keep employees, volunteers, adopters, and the animals safe in a post coronavirus world. According to the shelter's Facebook page here's what you need to know:
- If you wish to view / visit with adoptable pets you will need to make an appointment with the shelter. The same goes if you find yourself in a situation where you need to surrender your pet. Owner surrenders will only be accepted if the shelter has room.
- Dog meet and greets will be conducted mostly outside, cat meet and greets will be scheduled when the room has just been cleaned and is safe for visitors.
- The shelter has some new hours. You can schedule appointments to view/visit with pets Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9:00AM - 2:00PM CDT.
- Stay animals found can be dropped off at the shelter during the above times, but the shelter asks you to call from your car and someone will come out and help you.
- A 24 hour hold will be placed on all adoptions. No same day adoptions. This is being done to cut down on the number of returned animals.
- Prior to your appointment to view / visit with adoptable pets, adopters will be required to fill out an online adoption form.
If you're ready to adopt I'd urge you to take the time to talk to the shelter staff and let them help you get the perfect pet for your family. By telling them what you'd like, along with what your family life is like they can guide you to the perfect pet that's in their care that will easily fit into your family.
Some things to consider telling shelter staff when you're looking for that pet. How much you work. How much someone is home. Whether or not you have a fenced in yard. How many kids you have and how old they are. How you want the pet to fit into your life. And what other pets you already have.
The great thing about animals, as each has a distinct personality. And there's one that's perfect there for you.