Five Ways to Get Out of a Ticket, According to Actual Cops
Two cops recently came up with a list of ways to get out of a ticket if you're pulled over. And some I'd seen some before, like don't argue, and know where your registration is. But here are a few you might not think about . . .
1. Put your turn signal on as soon as possible, even if there's nowhere to pull over. That way they know you're at least trying to. But if they turn their lights AND their siren on, it means they think it's a good place to stop, so pull over right away.
2. Kiss up to them BEFORE they go to their car to run your info. That's usually when they decide whether or not to give you a ticket. And once they write one, they can't take it back. Writing a ticket and then ripping it up only happens in movies.
3. Don't be short with them, but don't talk too much either. They might get suspicious if you give a one-word answer to every question. But they might just get annoying if you start rambling too much.
4. Try to make them laugh. Which sounds a little risky, but apparently it works. We're assuming a bad joke has the opposite effect though. So don't force it.
5. Mentioning that you know a cop DOES work sometimes. So if you can work it into the conversation, go for it. Or if you were in the military or someone in your family is, that might work too.
I think I'd like to just avoid getting pulled over altogether, but hey, if it happens, maybe it'll help you. Have you ever been able to get out of a ticket? What did you do?