Young People Are Sick Of Things Old People Do
I am not sure of what the age cut off is, in regards to who is considered old or young these days. It probably depends on how you act, and how active you are. I lived with my nephew for a few months before I moved down here to Sedalia, he is 25 now. He doesn't think I am old but he does think I say and do a few things that he cannot relate to. And vice-versa.
Buzzfeed recently asked young people to name some "Old People" trends they'd like to get rid of. Here were some of the things "Boomers" do that apparently young people hate:
1. Claiming "the customer is always right." Employees should be allowed to stand up for themselves if someone's being unreasonable. I do agree with this one.
2. The "workhorse" mentality at most jobs. Going above and beyond is great, but shouldn't be expected all the time. Especially at low-paying jobs.
3. Acting like it's fine to be bad at technology. Just because you're older doesn't mean you can't learn the basics. One person said their dad refuses to use computers . . . but still makes them buy things on Amazon and Google stuff for him. I also am on board with this one. At least be able to check your email and surf the web. Not all technology is bad.
4. Popping in for a visit. Young people always call first . . . or more likely, text. I agree that a head's up is a good thing.
5. Calling instead of texting, unless it's an emergency. Young people hate random phone calls, because it feels like they HAVE to answer. So it's like you're forcing them to talk. But they don't have to respond to texts right away.
6. Making people feel bad for not owning a house yet. It's way harder than it used to be, and a lot of parents and grandparents don't seem to get that.
7. All the "participation trophy" jokes. Sure, young people got them. But their parents and grandparents handed them out. So who's REALLY to blame?
How many of these do you agree or disagree with? Feel free to share your thoughts, and perhaps we can find a happy medium between young and old.