The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the FDA have issued a warning regarding people using Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID 19 or to prevent COVID 19 infection.

There have been a number of calls to poison control from people who used Ivermectin purchased from an animal supply store.

According the FDA, animal drugs are often highly concentrated because they are used for large animals like horses and cows, and such high doses can be highly toxic in humans. Patients who overdose with ivermectin can experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, allergic reactions, dizziness, and problems with balance, seizures, coma and even death. Additionally, the effect of many inactive ingredients found in animal products is not known because those ingredients aren’t evaluated for use in people.

Ivermectin is designed to treat parasites in animals or in limited cases to treat scabies in people. The medication for people is available only by prescription. There is no FDA approved use of Ivermectin in the treatment of diseases caused by viruses like the coronavirus that causes COVID 19. At this time the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has stated there is not enough evidence to recommend for or against the use of Ivermectin in the treatment of COVID 19.

Any use of Ivermectin in people needs to be with the supervision of a health care professional.

Anyone who experiences any of the symptoms listed above after taking Ivermectin, should call Poison Control at 800-222-1222 or seek emergency medical care.

The Health Alert issued by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services can be found at

More From KIX 105.7