Look: This Abandoned Missouri Hospital Will Creep You Out [Pic]
WARNING: Under no circumstances should you enter an abandoned property. By doing so you risk bodily harm and/or prosecution for trespassing on private property.
After serving Jefferson City, Missouri for 100 years, St. Mary's Hospital left its long-time campus to move to a brand new facility. Some urban explorers went through part of the old hospital after its move. What they found was a dark, creepy, empty building, and a few bugs. Keep scrolling to see the photos, but first, more on the hospital.
According to the Cole County Historical Society, in 1902 Sisters Mary Gertrude Sharrenbroich and ildephonse Sommerhouser, of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary arrived in Jefferson City from St. Louis by train. Their mission, care for the sick and raise money for a new hospital that would serve all without regard to faith, financial, or social standing.
The Revitalization website says they arrived after Most Reverend John J. Kain, Archbishop of St. Louis, asked for the order of nuns to take on the project of starting a hospital in Jefferson City. In 1905, Jefferson City dedicated the brand new four-story St. Mary's Hospital that would become the cornerstone of the community.
According to the Cole County Historical Society, In its early years, the hospital weathered a citywide Smallpox outbreak in 1907, the 1918 worldwide flu, a fire in 1919, and the great depression in the 30s. In 1935 only half the patients served could pay their medical bills. However, the next 30 years proved to be much better for the hospital.
From the 1940s to the 1970s the hospital was expanded. The first, a four-story south wing doubled capacity in 1932. A convent and chapel were added in the 1940s. And a six-story addition was added in the mid-60s giving the hospital 200 beds.
While physical expansion occurred in the middle of the 20th Century, the last 30 years of the century were focused on bringing medical technology to the hospital. St. Mary's opened their outpatient services department in 1973, along with a name change to St. Mary's Health Center, to reflect the growing trend of the link hospitals and medicine had to promote healthy living.
The 80s brought the hospital a cath lab, a cardiac rehab unit, and even an open heart surgery unit. The 90s saw the rise of less invasive types of surgery thanks to laparoscopic equipment.
These days, St. Mary's is owned by SSM Health, "A Catholic, not-for-profit health system serving the comprehensive health needs of communities across the Midwest through a robust and fully integrated health care delivery system."
In 2014, SSM Health, built a state-of-the-art hospital to replace the nearly 100-year-old facility a few miles away along Missouri 179. In 2015 they sold the original property to Farmer Holding Company which had hoped to renovate the original hospital and redevelop the property. When it was all said and done that proved un-doable, and these days a Courtyard by Marriot sits on the property.
Keep scrolling to see what Backyard Exploration found when they explored the recently abandoned hospital in 2015.