MoDOT Closing I-70 In Both Directions Between I-470 and I-435
MoDOT is replacing the bridges within the I-435 and I-70 Interchange. The project which began in March already has drivers taking detours as they go from I-70 to I-435 or vice versa. MoDOT says the improvements which include elimination of left lane exits, full bridge replacements, improvements to ramp loops will reduce congestion and increase the safety of motorists. This construction will cause the entire closure of I-70 between I-470/Route 291 and I-435 on Friday night September 6.
"The Missouri Department of Transportation will have a complete closure of Interstate 70 in both directions between I-435 and I-470/Route 291 beginning at 10 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 6, until approximately 5 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 9. This closure is for the demolition of the directional ramps from southbound I-435 to eastbound I-70 and northbound I-435 to westbound I-70.
This is part of the new partial turbine interchange at I-435 and I-70. While I-70 is closed, a variety of MoDOT crews will be working along the seven-mile stretch of the closure to complete other much-needed maintenance work including lighting repairs, median barrier wall repairs, drainage work, and paving operations along I-70. All work is weather permitting."
According to the MoDOT website there will be other closures as well:
All ramps to and from I-70 between I-435 and I-470/Route 291 will be CLOSED while I-70 is closed.
- Eastbound I-70 ramp closures include:
- Manchester Trafficway to eastbound I-70.
- Northbound and southbound I-435 ramps to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Cutoff ramp to eastbound I-70.
- S. Highway 40 ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Blvd. Ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Noland Road ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Lee’s Summit Road ramp to eastbound I-70.
- Westbound I-70 ramp closures include:
- Northbound and southbound I-470/Route 291 ramps to westbound I-70.
- Lee’s Summit Road ramp to westbound I-70.
- Noland Road ramp to westbound I-70.
- S. Highway 40 ramp to westbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Cutoff ramp to westbound I-70.
While further construction won't have as big an impact as closing an entire Interstate highway down, there will be continued lane and ramp closures and details as the bridge replacement project continues at the I-435 / I-70 interchange. If you want to keep up to date with the closures, or figure out how to navigate your way into Arrowhead Stadium for a Chiefs game check out the MoDOT page dedicated to this project here.
If you use I-70 to get yourself into the Kansas City area, especially if you zip onto I-435 or another Interstate to get where you need to go I get that this is a big pain. Yet, if it makes this stretch of road safer and reduces congestion I think it's well worth it in the long run. Navigating the Kansas City Interstates has always been one of the more stressful parts of visiting or passing through the KC area. Anything that makes that easier gets a thumbs up from me.