The Drive-In Comes to Sedalia for One Night Only
For one night only the drive-in movies are coming to Sedalia. It's Cars Under the Stars on Saturday night July 18.
The area more or less under the Sedalia water tower on 16th Street across from State Fair Community College will be transformed into a drive in for this one night event. There will be an area designated for people who want to bring chairs and blankets and spread out. As well as an area for those who wish to watch from the comfort of their car.
The event is free and family friendly. However, there will be an opportunity for attendees to donate to Defeet.org. According to their website "Defeet.org is dedicated to educating Pettis County about mental health and suicide prevention by providing training, speakers and support groups; and advocate for treatment by providing financial aid and materials to de-stigmatize mental health issues."
The movie being screened is "Night At the Museum" which is rated G.
So what should you know before you head out to this one time event:
- The movie screening area is all grass. It will be mowed to make it easier to drive on, but if you're sensitive to mosquitoes and bugs bring your own bug repellent.
- It's not easy in and easy out. Once you're parked. You can't leave until the movie is completed. This is for the safety and security of guests and volunteers. There isn't a lot of lighting on site.
- There will be some portable toilets on site. As mentioned, there isn't a lot of lighting on sight. Bring a flashlight if you think you'll be walking to the toilets or it will make it easier to move around.
- No pets allowed.
- No tents allowed.
- No alcohol or drugs.
- There will be no concessions. You're welcome to bring your own snacks and sodas. Garbage cans will be placed throughout the site.
- Police will be on site to make sure all guests are safe.
I've been wondering for weeks when someone would decide to try a drive-in type movie experience in a big parking lot of field. It only seems logical to me. And surprising that no one's trying it until now.
I'm sure it would be helpful to the organizers of this event, Brad and Sarah Rea, that if you're planning on attending you respond affirmatively on their Facebook event page. More information can be found there too. Check it out here.