Registration for the Blaine Whitworth 5K Begins This Week
Registration for the Go Big of Go Home 5K race in remembrance of Blaine Whitworth begins at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 6, at 115 N. Holden St. in Warrensburg.
The race welcomes serious runners, beginners, joggers and walkers to the family fun race. All proceeds will go to the Blaine Whitworth Go Big or Go Home fund. The fund was set up in Whitworth's name after he died in a shooting last fall.
If you are a beginner racer or what to know what to expect from a 5K run, here are some good facts and tips to know before the race.
- A 5K race is 3.1 miles long.
- Show up early and stretch before the race to prevent injuries.
- Show up early to ensure a good parking spot.
- Start in the back and start slow. This will help you save your energy for later in the race.
- If someone is coming to watch, have them bring a camera. If it's your first or not, they will help you remember the race and the Go Big or Go Home 5K experience.
- Bring extra safety pins. Most races provide plenty to pin your bib down but it never hurts to make sure you have enough.
- Pin your bib to the front of your shirt for the race volunteers. It helps the volunteers easily identify you as a runner.
- Lay out everything you need the night before.
- Drink plenty of water the day before and that morning.
- Last but not least, have fun. In the end this is a family fun race for charity and remembrance.
After the race, around 9:45 a.m., Bodies and Blaine's will host a post-race award ceremony. The ceremony will have food, drinks and raffle prizes. Awards will go to the top three men and women finishers.